Monday, June 18, 2012

Dads

This post is a day overdue, but better late than never.

Yesterday was Father’s Day.  This has been a tough day for the last 3 years and always creates some mixed feelings for me.  I lost my dad in 2009 and there are just certain days that the loss is more profound. Sometimes those are just random, regular days, but other days are more predictable – the anniversary of his death, his birthday, and father’s day.

My dad was a great guy. He was a hard worker and a good friend. He gave excellent hugs and good advice. He was a great dad and grandfather.  Three years later, his loss is still painful.

 
Despite that, father’s day is also a wonderful day. I’m so blessed to be married to an incredible father and I’m glad there is a holiday to remind me to express my thanks for all he does.  He is my partner in all that we do and he makes our family work.



He heads off for work daily before any of the kids are up, but is home when they get off the bus. During the school year, he handles the chaos that comes with 4 pm and manages to listen to their daily news, get them a snack and have them start their homework, all while getting dinner going.  He shuttles kids to and from various sports practices, allergy shots, and other appointments.  He helps out soccer teams, pumps up flat tires, and does laundry and dishes when needed. He is the go-to for anything technological and is able to sort out iPods, DS problems and computer funks.  Mark is extraordinarily artistic, creative and resourceful. Since we have continued to fill our house with little bodies, he is always looking for new ways to make things function more smoothly and at little or no cost.  He’s built lockers, bookshelves, benches, and our kitchen table.



Our lives are busy, lively and sometimes very loud.  And, perhaps too often, things can get stressful! Nevertheless, when I had the chance to take a mini-vacation with my girlfriends this past weekend, Mark didn’t hesitate – he told me to GO.
 
 
I had a ton of fun with my friends. But, as you can imagine, I was excited to come home to such a great guy.  So very blessed to be married to such an amazing man.

No comments:

Post a Comment