Sunday, January 1, 2012

Highlights of 2011 (Part 1)

The past month has been chaotic and the past 2 weeks just c.r.a.z.y. Even though 2012 is officially upon us, I wanted to take the time to look back over a few highlights of 2011.  It was a really big year. Not everything was good, some things were hard, but others were wonderful.  So, in no particular order of importance,  here are a few highlights of 2011 (part 1)!

(1) DISNEY! Okay, this was one of the last things we did in 2011, but it sure was a biggie and is fresh in my mind. Long story short, we made a deal with Santa this year. If he brought the kids tickets to Disney World, our Christmas gift would be to make the rest of the trip happen. :) And we did!  It involved a big surprise Christmas morning, a LOT of driving, a wonderful visit with Florida family, and a magical day spent at Disney.  (I hope to write a better recap eventually...)

Surprise!  We're going to Disney World! :)



(2) PERRY THE PUPPY!  Since our family made it through 2010 without another addition ;) we figured we were due for one in 2011.  This summer Perry the pup joined our family.  We got him from a wonderful breeder in my hometown, from a place I worked in high school.  He is sweet and lovable and a bundle of trouble and mischief.  When he's feeling sweet, he melts your heart. When he's feeling stubborn... well, thankfully he's cute.  Looking forward to spending some time training him this coming year.  

 Perry "then"

Perry "now"


(3) HARD GOODBYES.  Although not a happy highlight, I must add a few sad goodbyes we experienced this year.  Both Mark and I lost a grandfather this year.  Both were wonderful men and we miss them so much.  



(4) RUNNING!  I know I have blogged about this a bit (and Facebooked about it quite a bit) but running was a huge part of my year.  I rang in 2011 feeling very tired and sad.  Just not... me.  I have not always been so heavy, but I had really let myself go and was feeling overwhelmed at how to get back on track.  I'm sure I made a few new years resolutions, but it was not until mid-to-late February when I finally made the decision to DO.  So, I started eating less and making healthier choices. Nothing magical there.  And I started the couch to 5k running program.  It was a painful start.  Running a minute or two at a time.  But I was determined.  I completed a 5k in May (barely!) and ran a half marathon in October!  I wanted to run a 5k in less than 30 minutes, which I did right before my birthday (it was around my neighborhood, but still.) :) Along the way I lost over 40 lbs and feel better than I have in a long time.  I am so thankful that I stopped making excuses.
  


(5) SCHOOL SUCCESS.  I was very fortunate to be able to homeschool Grace and Selam for the 2010-2011 academic year. It was extremely challenging and extremely rewarding.  Although it was not something I was able to continue, I am so thankful that we had that time to grow together as a family.  I really think that extra time helped Selam grow academically as well. I was so nervous about her going back to school for 8th grade this year, but have been so pleased with the extra services she is getting. She has worked extremely hard this semester, which paid off - we found at at fall conferences that she had made the honor roll!  This is just astounding when you think that she spoke very little English before age 11/12 and came to the US reading (English) at a 1st grade reading level.  I am so stinking proud of her.  And although this will embarrass her, I'm sharing it anyway.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Great job, Cat, on the running and weight loss! Your Christmas Disney vacation surprise sounds wonderful and I'm hoping 2012 is a fabulous year for you guys!

    ReplyDelete