Friday, February 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday


1)  Home today with the kids and feeling a little bit of cabin fever (seriously - will this snow EVER stop!).  Debating about tackling a rather large cleaning/uncluttering/reorganizing project. I have *big* plans for our back room but don't know how to make them come together...  Right now it is the room we keep the computer and some toys, but it doesn't function like much of anything. I would LOVE it to operate as a playroom/school area, especially something akin to a Montessori or Waldorf style... or maybe just centers?  But that all sounds pretty cluttered, given the square footage we have.  Fortunately for me, a good friend pointed out that whenever she is feeling bad about space issues, she just remembers the space families occupy in Ethiopia.  What a great reminder that, compared to 98% of the world, we live in a palace! Good perspective to keep.

2)  Do you ever feel like the cleaning will never end?  By the time I get one area decluttered and clean, the rest of the house is nasty!  I know that a regular schedule would probably be beneficial... but I can't quite stomach the idea. :) I'm proud of myself when I can keep up on laundry.  I think this is one of my weaknesses I may just have to accept.  I have been making more of an effort to declutter generally and I notice that helps.  So, maybe a year from now I'll see some progress. :)

3)  I am currently completely enamored with the concept of unschooling or, perhaps more correctly titled, child-led / interest-led learning.  So much of this philosophy appeals to me... I believe there will be most posts upcoming on that front, but, for now, I'm enjoying educating myself.  :)

4)  I started writing this post about 9 a.m.  It is now 7:37 p.m.  I completely cleaned out my backroom.  What a feeling of accomplishment (although still looks nothing like a Montessori classroom - I got over that goal around hour 2).

5)  My Facebook-fast continues.  I'm waffling a bit, sad to say. Almost signed back in this week, but haven't so far.  It is driving my sister c.r.a.z.y.  

6)  I really wanted to finish my taxes this weekend. We are very fortunate that the IRS made some very favorable changes this year (understatement!) and I can't wait to get our refund and pay down some debt!  The key form and instructions were JUST released this week... tomorrow's project perhaps?

7) Captain and Throwback Pepsi are fab.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment